The Great Plotnik

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

I Hate Baseball, You Know What I Mean



We left Deer Isle at 9am, Crow drove us to Bangor, got there by 10:30, caught the 11am Concord Coach to Portland, pulled in at 1:15pm, walked around the corner for fabulous Italian sandwiches...

ASIDE: The place is calls Anania's. Real East Coast Chicken Parm, Meatballs, squishy bread, ten-finger grease and red sauce bath. Don't forget the Whoopee Pie.

...then took a cab to the Portland Airport...

ASIDE: All cab drivers at the airport and bus station in Portland Maine, are from Ethiopia or Somalia.

...where we sat, sat, sat, waiting for the 4:40 plane to Detroit

ASIDE: The Delta terminal at Detroit Airport is world-class, like the future envisioned in 1975, monorails whizzing by, glass, fountains. Don't look outside...

...changed planes and waited another hour and a half for the 7:59 plane to SFO which was delayed until 8:15. Landed at 9:55 our time.

The second we touched down I took my phone off Airplane Mode to check the score of the Dodger-Giant game. We were ahead 4-3 in the eighth but I had exactly 4% juice left on my phone.

In the cab to World Headquarters I had 1% left when they tied it up. The cab driver was from an African country that does not prioritize listening to baseball games on the radio.

Ran into the house, mm hmmm, mm hmmm, everything looks fine, fine, fine, OK now run downstairs and turn on the TV, we've got a runner on third and one out -- they balk home the winning run! -- but --they DON'T CALL IT! You can see it clear as day but -- THEY DON'T CALL IT!

It's been a really long and exhausting day but , OK, extra innings.

I couldn't do it, fell asleep in the top of the 14th. Then A.J., Jimmy, Chase and A-Gon won it in the bottom. I slept uneasily until I checked my IPad, saw we'd won the game, then settled into a lovely slumber.

After such a long and wonderful month, starting with Isabella being here and taking her to L.A. and back home to Brooklyn, the theater and friends, and then up to beautiful Spring Glen, then out to Maine and onto the boat seeing lighthouses and lobster boats in a world I'd never quite imagined before with fine old friends, you'd think we'd be all stretched out now, free and easy.

But it's September. Pennant races.

ASIDE: I hate baseball. I love baseball.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger notthatlucas said...

Welcome home - just in time for what could be a great stretch run. (Or not.) Neither the Dodgers nor Giants have the safety of a wild card slot as a way to get in to the post-season, so it's win the division or start vacation. This should make for a fun couple of months. (Or not.)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

Well, glad you are home now to enjoy (hahahahaha) the race to the pennant.
It's an odd number year, so I'm betting on the Dodgers, meaning I too hate
baseball.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Cousin Seattle said...

I hope you were out of battery for the no-no. Tonight's win was pretty satisfying, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home