The Great Plotnik

Monday, January 10, 2011

P.O.S.

Cold cold cold. Cold hands. Cold fingers. Cold nose.

The P.O.S. furnace died yesterday. We heard its last gasp --- probably the last time it actually turned on, it was the sound of metal bearings scraping against blackboards to the acompaniment of screeching iron. And then -- nothing.

And it's cold up here! Anyhow, this morning Plottie took the original P.O.S. motor, which had been replaced eight years ago but saved against this very occurrence, down to the plumbing and heating supply place. A few hours later a new one has been ordered, but the company that made it became another company that became another company that became the third company and that one is in Texas and it'll take several days to get here.

There's a spiffy new Lowe's down where dependable old Goodman's Lumber used to be. Plot drove into the spiffy new parking lot and walked into the spiffy new Lowe's and bought a spiffy new space heater and got it home and turned it on and the P.O.S. new space heater doesn't work either.

There is a phone number for help. Plotnik has counted "All our representatives are serving other customers. Please remain on the line" seventeen times already. He will probably have to take the P.O.S. space heater back to P.O.S. Lowe's and he's more pissed off about that than he is about the P.O.S. furnace biting it.

It's 50 degrees in the living room. The studio is warmer. It's warmer outside than inside. Sounds like dinner out and a day at the coffee house with the computer.

9 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger notthatlucas said...

50 degrees is WAY too cold inside. I'm impressed they were able to get you a new motor, and will be a lot more impressed if it actually installs correctly and works once you get it. Take the space heater back and exchange it. Turn on all your old computers (my office gets like a sauna when they are all going). Abandoning the house sounds swell too.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger notthatlucas said...

And start baking! At least the kitchen will get nice.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous jj-aka-pp said...

My sympathies, but if it is just a motor for the furnace, then you only get some sympathy..says she who had to buy the whole furnace/ac unit enchilada.
But, being cold sucks, I understand!

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous jj-aka-pp said...

Oh, I forgot the important hint:
wear a hat. yes, you may feel foolish wearing a hat inside, but it works. I wear one to avoid jacking up the thermostat in my still poorly insulated house but hey I don't know how many houses in Atlanta are WELL insulated for sub 20 degree temps.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Cousin Seattle said...

I agree about that hat! You lose lots of valuable heat out the top of your head (I always wear a hat when I am in my sleeping bag during a cold weather camping trip)!!

Also, just get a heating pad or two and snuggle up under a blanket! Think of yourself as a poor grad student until you get the part in! :) (Although, once my apartment gets into the 50s, my heat goes on!)

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger J and J said...

Jerry says, Socks, Tell them to wear socks. i said, they are smart. they are wearing socks. ...you are wearing socks aren't you?

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger DAK said...

Yes, socks. Yes, a hat. A sweater. But we're camped out in the tv room and I can't escape from "Women Who Like Men Who Like Men." I think I'm just gonna go freeze to death.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger mary ann said...

Any better today? I lit a small fire this morning (in the fireplace!) when I got up and worried about you two.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks, sweaters, hats all are great. I'm suprised the heater hasn't been returned and a new one working. Down south we make oven meals to heat the house and keep it going to bake cookies or baked fruits to go with dinner and/or late night snacks. No need to preheat the oven for baking. Remember to turn the oven off at night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home