The Great Plotnik

Saturday, July 14, 2012

"No More Water"

When Plotnik wrote that song, he wasn't thinking about carpet. This morning, finally, the de-humidifier was unplugged downstairs and hauled away. The carpet area in front of the washing machine and at the entrance to the guest bedroom appears to be dry, though Plot and Duck will have to replace the pad underneath and hire an installer to stretch and re-tack down the old carpet and new pad.

But at least it doesn't seem to be necessary to replace the carpet. Man. Always watch that hose coming out of the washer. Gray water is not your friend.

Tonight, we get to see My Fair Lady. Actually, Plot has never seen the show on stage, only the movie, but Ducknik's parents took her for her 16th birthday to see the original production on Broadway, with Rex Harrison as Henry Higgins and Julie Andrews as Eliza Dolittle. What a delight that must have been.

Poor JJ-aka-PP. She was only three. She didn't get her mind blown by the theater until she was four.

When people ask Plotnik to choose his favorite musical, he always has to name at least three: My Fair Lady, West Side Story and ________, depending on how he's feeling that day. Number three might be Oklahoma, or Carousel, or South Pacific or even Annie, because after all the Sun Will Come Up Tomorrow, but My Fair Lady and West Side Story always go back and forth as Plottie's absolute favorite.

JJ-aka-PP might choose Phantom or Cats or even Les Miserables or any of the more modern Andrew Lloyd Weber shows, but for Plotnik these are in a separate category. There is Great Show with a Dozen Great Songs, and there is Great Show with One Song.

Of course there is also Good Show with No Songs, and Boring Show with Embarrassing Songs, and Childish Show by Disney. But we're not talking about those.

2 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

I hope you love it ~ we see it in about 10 days. My fave musical is Cats and I don't like too many more, except maybe Sweeney Todd...

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous jj-aka-pp said...

OH MY! I'm sorry I've been without BLOG access for a while! I would certainly have responded to the presumptions you make sooner!

NOTHING by Lloyd Weber would be in the top 5. I am a fan of Les Miz, but top 5? no, don't think so.

I'm sorry you so quickly dismiss the Disney musicals as I enjoy some of them quite a lot, but top 5? Nope.

NOW, my problem is,....only 5? not TOP 5 from each decade, or top 5 from each Broadway theatre where they first opened no specific genres?
Hmmm - (OK, not necessarily in any particular order, 'cause it depends on the day)
1. West Side Story
2. 110 in the Shade or Most Happy Fella
3. In the Heights - yup new, and I like it
4. Annie Get Your Gun -yup saw it when I was 4, it has to be on the list.
5. The Fantastick, Wicked, Book of Morman, music man, rent, Oklahoma, Martin Guare, Chess, Show Boat, My Fair Lady, Pajama Game, ACCKKKKK!
NO I CAN'T DO IT, I CAN'T PICK 5!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home