The Great Plotnik

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Finally: Fabulous Home Made Pizza



When Plotnik got home from Sicily, where every street has one or two shops making very good pizza, he vowed he would figure out a way to make great pizza at home, once and for all.

He researched expensive pizza ovens (it's cheaper just to fly to Naples a few times a year), he tried using the bbq outside (nice topping on incinerated cardboard) and he tried this fancy recipe and that brilliant routine, you know, the bricks, and the organic yadda yadda yadda. The result, invariably, was pizza that was just about as good as your average West Coast pizza, or frozen pizza, which is to say a lot of effort for not much payback.

Until he found his Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan.

With this (very heavy) beauty, you just preheat it in a 450 oven for twenty minutes or so, roll out the pizza dough on the side, then pat the dough into place in the hot pan and add the sauce and toppings. Put it back in the oven and in six to eight minutes you get this:



The gardens at Great Plotnik World Headquarters are full of broccoli rabe right now, so Plot picked a huge bunch and sauteed it with some Italian sausage. A simple uncooked tomato sauce, and the pizza dough recipe modified only slightly from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook (a gift from The Great BZWZ), mozzarella cheese and that sausage/broccoli rabe, and you end up with the best pizza we've had outside of Brooklyn.

No, we can't get that charred crust of Pizza Napolitan' without having a 900 degree brick oven, but who cares! Mmmm, this is really good stuff.

(The pizza on top is Thai basil with green Castelveltrano olives.)

7 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Anonymous HankyGirl said...

Just looked this pan up—'cause I'd love to have good pizza at my house too—and it specifies it's oven-safe to 400 degrees. Are you and Duck living on the edge, or is there some secret to safely over-heating cast iron that I need to know before I try this at home?

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'll be right over.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous finch said...

Putting my order in for April

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger J and J said...

Can I have your dough recipe? I have a stone and a screen, I might try a combo of using them together to start and then just the screen at the end?

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Cousin Seattle said...

Let's make this next time! I bet it would be good with arugula, too. I'm glad you found a use for that broccoli rabe! :)

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Linda Davick said...

Gulp.

p.s. I stole your photo.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger bronwen said...

I'm horrified at how badly I want this pizza. I formerly request this pizza during my next visit!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home