The Great Plotnik

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Water Part Two

So last night I filled up two measuring bowls with cool water in the kitchen sink while waiting for the tap to get hot to cook some rice. When I told Barb I did that, she said "why did you do that?" I said "so I would use less gas to cook the rice because the water would already be hot" and she said "but you had to use gas to get the hot water heater to heat the water to the hotter temperature so you could then save the same gas by using hotter water to cook the rice."

Sheee-it. Then it rained last night.

OK, so the moral of this story is that there is no need for your wife to know about your conservation attempts.

I hope people will take this water business more seriously than our neighbors have taken the recycling issue. It's not that hard: garden and kitchen wastes: green can. Recycling: blue can. Land fill: Brown can.

And yet, every Tuesday night their brown can is filled with blue can stuff, their blue can is filled with green can stuff, and their green can is empty. When I comment about it I feel like Ms. Wormwood sending Calvin to the principal's office.


3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger notthatlucas said...

Something I've been told is that hot water running through your plumbing tends to leach out what I call "plumbing nutrients" and others call "poisons that will kill you TODAY". In other words, you should avoid ingesting hot water from the tap. (But if it's already available, I will use it. I'm with Barb though - she is wise. And you already know that.)

And it's beyond frustrating that there are so many people that really just don't care about anything trash related - don't care about sorting and don't care about avoiding making so much trash to begin with. (And often these are not morons - it just doesn't occur to them that they are douchebags.)

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger DAK said...

You're right. DBism is almost never achieved as the result of a careful plan. But when the composting company says "please don't put plastic in with the kitchen scraps" it doesn't mean "just put everything in the landfill instead."

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

it is soooooooooo frustrating when others are not perfect like we are

 

Post a Comment

<< Home