The Great Plotnik

Friday, November 19, 2010

Thanks a Lot, Skeeter Davis

The thing that feels the strangest about Mischief being gone is the sense of tense. It's hard to describe. I can't put him into 'was' yet.

But ride the painted pony and life lurches forward. We sat around a dinner table with friends last night and they were talking about their lives and I wanted to talk about Mischief.

But nobody really cares about your sadness, unless it relates to them, unless it's someone they knew, or --- well, let's face it. A person.

Good, Plotnik just got home.

"Hi, I see you're back."

"Yeah, Doug, thanks for taking over yesterday."

"No problem, see you next time."


Today it's gloomy and Plottie has to face weatherproofing the decks, cleaning up the iris mess, getting his hair cut. It's cold already. It gets dark too early. Plotnik feels a little cut off from reality.

He doesn't feel all that sad, still he woke up singing that old Skeeter Davis song "The End of the World."

"Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when you said goodbye..."

Last night, he kind of picked at his Thai food. Duck said afterwards he seemed distracted.

It's just that song. It made him cry when he was a teenager and when he hears Skeeter's voice it still goes right through him, like a puppy through a garbage can you forgot to close, and there's food all over the floor, and he's smiling and his tail is wagging a million miles an hour. That's what it is. That song.

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger mary ann said...

So sweet. Again, I'm sorry for everyone's loss.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger notthatlucas said...

This is going to be humiliating, but maybe it will make you smile.

The name "Skeeter Davis" rang a tiny bell in my head. Too tiny, so I went to iTunes expecting to find some old grungy blues song by some weatherbeaten, grizzled, old black guy.

Wow did I blow that.

I'm convinced even Mischief would be rolling his eyes over that.

Please don't unfriend me.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Ha-ha, I did it too, notthat. I know all those songs by heart as soon as I hear them, but I didn't always pay attention to the artist.

Yeah Doug I so totally understand. It's hard with animals because their love is so pure. You never had the fights or misunderstandings that you were left to puzzle over after a person dies. You just miss them like crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home