The Great Plotnik

Friday, July 18, 2008

A Cheery Thought for the Morning

Here's a new poem by The Great Dance-Nik, published in Cadillac Cicatriz (which I believe is a scar). It's a beauty.

ATLANTIS
Karen Hildebrand


They say downtown Manhattan will be underwater.
They say they'll relocate coastal cities inland,
As if the bedrock of our fickle hearts
Can simply shift a few degrees. Will they
Load San Francisco's Painted Ladies
On a flatbed? Drive them to Orinda?
What of Sutro Tower? Its ghostship forever
Unanchored. Where will we go when the waters rise?
My tree house cottage swollen with longing,
Farley's no longer open at six around the corner?

Where will we go when the canals of Venice
Float the West Village? Retired firemen
Pole by my fourth floor window in gondolas,
Their shoe polish hair, waving triceps,
As we begin to shrink, water
Licking briny brickwork. I suppose
I could lay a plank from my landing to the next,
Build a Bridge of Sighs to Jack's
Now relocated up three flights,
Get my fair trade, shade-grown beans, to go.

----------------------------

Meanwhile, it appears that on-line issues are the only growth spots in the publishing and broadcasting industries. So let hard copy float under rising seas. We'll all be safe on our hilltops, blogging like crazy until the sharks learn where we keep our generators.

1 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Thank you! (I hope the copyright police don't find you)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home